Lately we've been having some issues with bees. Bees being in our house, in particular. They were our numerous and unwanted guests. Now, I realize that bees play in important part in our environment and in my garden, but in my house they are a nuisance. Nothing inside needs pollinating, thank you very much. We figured out where they were coming from (hopefully) and got it all taken care of. The only problem was that there were still a few rogue bees floating randomly through the house. Which was fun.
To be perfectly honest, my biggest concern was that she would have an allergic reaction. She had never been stung before (despite having a bee stuck in her hair at school this past spring) and I was worried she might have inherited that particular allergy. I wanted to help her calm down and go from there. Within a couple of minutes her check went from being red all over to having two small red bumps appeared on her face so it was clear she had been stung. Twice. And she needed some relief.
I've only been stung by a bee once (I think I was 10) and I was at a friends house. When we told her mom that I had been stung, she got a paper towel and wetted it with cold water. Then she folded it into a square and put baking soda on it. She told me to hold it over the sting and it would help relieve the pain. Amazingly it worked! And it worked really well with Lolly too! I don't know if it's the cold water or the baking soda (or the combination of the two) that's the miracle worker, but Lolly calmed right down. And the red bumps were gone within 5-10 minutes. She also explained to me that the only reason she was so upset was because that was the first time she had been stung and she wasn't expecting it. My sweet girl...trying to help me feel better when she gets stung by a bee.
And of course my Lolly girl is my Lolly girl, regardless of the situation. When I asked (a bit out of paranoia) how her tongue felt, she looked at me and said, "It feels wet". And then giggled. That's my girl.